• Hi everybody.
    > Ask in the appripiate section.
    > Mention all the required fields.
    > Explain the issue clearly.
    > If solved your problem, write here how you solved the issues so others can benefits.
    Thank you
  • Hi howdy? we glad you to be here. Are you interested to learn Laptop chip level repair work, then this is a small forum join in the laptop repair community to help each other.
    Please Register

Zenbook Pro Motherboard replacement

Wayne.H

Reaction score
Hello everyone, a first time poster from the UK here who is hoping for some advice from the experts/professionals.

Zenbook Pro UX580G (Printed on bottom case) with i9 processor.

Background on my problem....
After a WIFI card swap i lost all power to the laptop and sent the motherboard off to be inspected/repaired.
Earlier i received an email from the shop- "I'm sorry to say this motherboard has a direct short to ground on the CPU and cannot be repaired"

Searching online for UX550GD ver 2.2 motherboard (as printed on my board) i have found a couple of outlets in China that have the same board for sale-

The advice i am hoping for is regarding for one, the processor. Mine has the i9 (chosen as an extra at time of purchase from Asus) but all the identical looking UX550GD
ver 2.2 motherboards state i7. Do you think the i9 processor would have just been a straight swap for the i7 at the factory or would other hardware have been needed
to accomodate the i9 ?
Secondly, in the images of the motherboard for sale, i have noticed the PCI express card, the CMOS and the WIFI card are missing and will need swapping from the old motherboard. Do you think that any other damage would have occured to items i need to swap from old board to new board from the "CPU short to ground" ?

Please excuse me if my terminolgy is not correct, i am a complete novice.
Any advice, information or help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Wayne

Laptechinfo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Wayne.H so your old board was i9 processor, now you are going to buy another mobo with same board number, but the new board comes with i7 processors?

you have to check the old board's sub boards and wifi card should be inspected before adding to the new board

Wayne.H

Reaction score
@Wayne.H so your old board was i9 processor, now you are going to buy another mobo with same board number, but the new board comes with i7 processors?

you have to check the old board's sub boards and wifi card should be inspected before adding to the new board
@Laptechinfo.
Yes, the old board is i9 but the only replacements i can find are listed as i7 (same board and version number- UX550GD ver 2.2). Not having any knowledge about these things, i am wondering if downgrading
to the i7 board would be a straight swap or if it would require additional hardware that is not on my i9
board.
"you have to check the old boards sub boards" could you explain what that means please ?
Thanks for the reply

Laptechinfo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Laptechinfo.
Yes, the old board is i9 but the only replacements i can find are listed as i7 (same board and version number- UX550GD ver 2.2). Not having any knowledge about these things, i am wondering if downgrading
to the i7 board would be a straight swap or if it would require additional hardware that is not on my i9
board.
"you have to check the old boards sub boards" could you explain what that means please ?
Thanks for the reply
if you have picture of your old laptop's motherboards and related boards take pictures and upload please.

Wayne.H

Reaction score
@Laptechinfo Sorry for the delay. These were taken prior to dispatch for inspection/repair.
The motherboard is currently in transit back to me.

Attachments

• IMG_3621.JPG
    IMG_3621.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3619.JPG
    IMG_3619.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 3

Laptechinfo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Find member

• Hi. The website contents will be filled soon.the typing and writings works are going on. So please be patience, it will have more resources soon. If you have anything to post to learn please post / share it.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock