Troubleshoot Steps notice
Hi thank you for visiting this forum, please register to view this Section .

Please register to view this section Thank you
  • Hi, have you got any guides or steps to troubleshoot laptop motherboards post here please, help each other.
  • Hi howdy? we glad you to be here. Are you interested to learn Laptop chip level repair work, then this is a small forum join in the laptop repair community to help each other.
    Please Register

Shunt resistor | What is current sense resistor on a Laptop| Current limiting Resistor (CLR)

What is Shunt Resistor

A shunt is a resistor connected in parallel with an ammeter as a shunt in order to expand the current measurement range. Recently, resistors for current detection that detect circuit current are collectively called shunt resistors.

Shunt Resistor (Classification)​

Historically, shunt referred to a resistor connected in parallel to an ammeter for sorting purposes. Shunt meaning "to deflect," "avoid," or "sort."
In order to expand the measuring range of the ammeter, the total current flowing is measured by connecting a resistor in parallel to the ammeter.

current sensing resistor | Shunt Resistor

Im: Total current flowing through the circuit
Ir: Current flowing through the ammeter
r: Internal electrical resistance of the ammeter
R: Shunt (shunt) resistance
For example, the total current (Im) flowing through the upper circuit is expressed by the following formula. Im=Ir+Ir (r/R)=Ir (1+r/R)

Therefore, the ratio of the total current flowing through the circuit to the current flowing through the ammeter is Im/Ir= (1+r/R)

In other words, (1+r/R) times the display of the ammeter (Ir: current flowing through the ammeter) becomes the total current flowing through the circuit.

Shunt Resistor (Series):

In a circuit in which resistors are connected in series, the potential difference (voltage drop) across the resistor is detected, and the current flowing through the circuit is measured using Ohm's law.

1657851525322.png

I: Current flowing through the circuit
R: Shunt resistance
V: Potential difference across the resistor

For example, as current (I) flows, a potential difference (V) is created across the resistor.
The potential difference that occurs can be calculated using Ohm's law. V = I × R (Ohm's Law)

By detecting the voltage (V) in the detection circuit, the current (I) flowing through the circuit can be measured. Since the current (I) and voltage (V) are proportional, in reality, the change in the current value (I) is substituted for the detected voltage (V) change and used for feedback control and threshold monitoring

1657856045707.png

Last edited:

Find member

• Hi. The website contents will be filled soon.the typing and writings works are going on. So please be patience, it will have more resources soon. If you have anything to post to learn please post / share it.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock